[cfe-users] Migrating to clang from GCC

Ankit Garg Ankit_Garg at mentor.com
Fri Jul 24 00:37:09 PDT 2015

Hi All,
          I am not sure whether its the right forum to ask this
question.  I am trying to move to clang compiler from GCC, but our
software has tons of components independently developed provding
different static archive libraries. All these libraries are finally
linked into executable.  Now rather than compiling every component with
clang from scratch, I was thinking to pick one component at time to
compile with clang and use GCC compiled static archives for other
components to link into executable using clang compiler.  Would this
always work ?

So my question is whether GCC compiled object/archives involving C/C++
code would always be compatible with clang generated object files and
can be mixed together during link step using clang compiler.  Would this
always work if I can make sure that our libraries are not using any
features of C++11 .

Regards
Ankit