[cfe-users] Clang dynamic memory analyzer not referencing back to

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Mon Feb 17 11:42:34 PST 2014

"David Highley wrote:"

> We recently built the 3.3 release of clang/llvm using the Fedora 20
> packaging process as a guide to unpacking, moving the different parts to
> the correct location and building the compiler tool chain. All seems to
> be working correctly except the dynamic memory analyzer is not
> referencing back to the source code. The same usage on the Fedora
> platform does reference back to the source code.
>
> This is our first attempt to use the clang/llvm tool set.  The GCC
> compiler version 4.4.6 on Red Hat 6.3 does not have support for C++11
> standard so the current build is without C++11 support. Two possible
> things to be done are; re-configure to use clang to build clang/llvm and
> add the c++11 support and or update to the latest 3.4 release.

We found a solution, do not know quite why we needed to add the extra
environment setup. Compiling as follows:
PATH=/net/fas4045/home3/jq031c/llvm_sandbox/bin:$PATH make -j 16
DEPFILES= CXX=clang++ CC=clang CXXFLAGS="-fsanitize=memory
-fsanitize-memory-track-origins -fno-omit-frame-pointer"
LDXFLAGS=-fsanitize=memory

Runing as follows:
MSAN_SYMBOLIZER_PATH=/net/fas4045/home3/jq031c/llvm_sandbox/bin/llvm-symbolizer
./runtests.sh

We can understand that we need to add the analysis option to the link
flags as we do a two step build of compile followed by link. The
discovery after searching was the need to define the path to llvm-symbolizer with an environment variable which none of the other dynamic analysis options seems to need.