[cfe-users] warning/error issues

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 18:49:03 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 6:34 PM, Eric Levy <contact at ericlevy.name> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I began to experiment with clang to build an existing C++ (Qt-based)
> project.  I wanted to make warnings into errors in order to ensure that the
> code is solid.  However, there are several issues:
>
> 1) Clang is said to be designed to have the same command-line interface as
> gcc, but the options for warnings and errors are different.  The gcc
> command -Wall is -Werror in clang, and so on.

Actually Clang and GCC both have -Wall and -Werror and they do (roughly)
the same thing in each. -Wall is the "common likely-good warnings" and
-Werror is "whatever warnings are on, make them errors". The specific set
of things in -Wall differs somewhat between Clang and GCC since there's no
specific definition, but roughly speaking those flags do the same thing.

> 2) The user documentation states that specific warnings can be made into
> errors or not errors by using the -Werror=foo and -Wno-error=foo options.
>  However, no list of accepted values for foo is given.

This is a flaw in Clang's documentation - we basically don't document our
flags, so far as I know. You guess them, or you look at the implementation,
or try -Weverything (turns on all warnings) and see what warnings fire and
what their flags are called (we print the flag name by default).

> 3) Finally, gcc/clang both warn on unused variables and parameters. This
> often undesired, especially in C++ where, due to polymorphism some
> implementations of a method may not need certain parameters.

I don't believe Clang warns on unused parameters by default, if at all. If
it does so on virtual functions that's probably a bug to be fixed.

>  When clang produces an error for unused parameters (-Werror enabled), it
> reports the reason is -Wunused-parameter.  However, introducing
> -Wno-error=unused-parameter has no effect, despite documentation to the
> contrary.  The gcc-style -Wno-unused-parameter is equally ineffective.

Could you show examples of this?

-Wunused-parameter isn't under -Wall, so you must've passed it explicitly I
assume (or perhaps via -Wextra)?

All these options seem to work quite well for me with Clang:

$ clang++-tot unused.cpp -Wextra
unused.cpp:2:17: warning: unused parameter 'i' [-Wunused-parameter]
  void func(int i) {
                ^
1 warning generated.
$ clang++-tot unused.cpp -Wextra -Werror
unused.cpp:2:17: error: unused parameter 'i' [-Werror,-Wunused-parameter]
  void func(int i) {
                ^
1 error generated.
$ clang++-tot unused.cpp -Wextra -Werror -Wno-error=unused-parameter
unused.cpp:2:17: warning: unused parameter 'i' [-Wunused-parameter]
  void func(int i) {
                ^
1 warning generated.
$ clang++-tot unused.cpp -Wextra -Werror -Wno-unused-parameter
$