[cfe-dev] clang/Driver/Options.td, docs/UsersManual.rst and docs/ClangCommandLineReference.rst

Fāng-ruì Sòng via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 13:10:07 PDT 2020

As I know the documentation of command line options are in two places:

* include/clang/Driver/Options.td (DocBreif and HelpText are used to
generate docs/ClangCommandLineReference.rst
(https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangCommandLineReference.html ))
* docs/UsersManual.rst : This is manually edited. It is more like a
book. My understanding is that the manual only contains frequently
used options.

docs/ClangCommandLineReference.rst actually lacks lots of stuff from
docs/UsersManual.rst (I have seen people complaining that more than a
half of options on ClangCommandLineReference have no documentation). I
wonder whether there is a better way organizing the documentation. For
example, if some description are written in docs/UsersManual.rst, it'd
be nice for ClangCommandLineReference to inherit those.

(The documentation of attributes is in a separate file:
include/clang/Basic/AttrDocs.td
(https://clang.llvm.org/docs/AttributeReference.html) Does Options.td
need to learn from it?)