[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC] Backend for Motorola 6800 series CPU (M68k)

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 02:56:40 PDT 2020

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 10:37, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <
glaubitz at physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> So, I think in case there was a problem with the backend in LLVM, the
> community
> would have enough momentum to work towards solving this issue.

Great!

I agree. But we will enable the target in Debian the moment it becomes
> usable
> and we will expose it to as much testing as possible to unconver bugs or
> remaining
> features and report them upstream.

That's good to hear. The Debian project has helped us do extensive tests in
other hardware and it provided us with confidence that what we build
actually works in some real world context.

We have a rough list of remaining issues in [1] and [2]. Min also gave a
> talk
> in [3] where he drafted out the TODO and plans for the backend [3]. The
> talk
> is also available on Youtube [4].

So, IIUC, the current implementation is reasonably complete. You're able to
compile C programs and run them on real hardware. The main effort now is to
upstream what you have, and continue the development.

This would make the "plan" easier. Getting the current state upstream would
make for a nice experimental target. Getting Debian packages compiled and
tested with QEMU would demonstrate production quality.

cheers,
--renato