[cfe-dev] add new option -fnovisibility for clang

Jason Liu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 15 12:28:47 PDT 2020

> I remain unclear as to how that is a useful or important feature. Are you
worried about compatibility with code which incorrectly specified
visibility("hidden"), when it actually did need to export the symbol?

I guess I understand the point of confusion, so I will try to clarify it a
little bit.
It goes back to Clang does not have "unspecified" visibility mapping yet.
On AIX, the baseline visibility is not "default" or export. The baseline
visibility is "unspecified" when no attribute is marked on the symbol.
And -mignore-xcoff-visibility means let all the symbols have "unspecified"
visibility, whether or not any visibility attribute is specified on the
symbol. So that user could use export list in the link step to control the
visibility on AIX, which gives a more fine-grained control.
As it is right now, the llc on AIX actually treats
`GlobalValue::DefaultVisibility` as "unspecified" as it is the baseline
visibility mode on AIX. So it is a bit messy there, and we will need to
clean that up when we add "unspecified" visibility attribute to clang for
AIX. But I don't think it should prevent us from making the default
behavior(unspecified visibility for all symbols) right on AIX for now.
Hope that would clean up the confusion.