[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 13 12:34:02 PDT 2020

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 15:51, Hubert Tong <hubert.reinterpretcast at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you mean "amend" the message in the Web UI before merging, then yes,
>> they let you change the message, but it's very easy to forget to do
>> that.

That's what I meant, yes. "Easy to forget" generally goes away when you
repeat it enough times.

Also, occasionally forgetting to edit the commit message is not an
egregious thing. It's not like the default message is wrong or anything.

You could even remember, but GitHub's web application (at least when used
> with Firefox) could, after failing due to transient connection problems,
> revert your message changes. This is in addition to the annoyance of GitHub
> pages reloading with outdated state and previously-submitted messages
> appearing as being under draft.

Right, I think this is more of a browser issue than a git issue, but I
agree it does have an effect on the commit message.

I don't think the web page would directly have that effect, so perhaps when
using unstable connections, reverting to use the plain website for merges
would help.