[cfe-dev] what's the difference between clang-cl.exe vs clang.exe on Windows?

Yafei Liu via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 12 02:19:34 PDT 2020

I'm totally new to Window C++ programming and today I port my project on
Windows and use clang.exe as the compile but failed on CMake configuration
(lot's of library not found, for example clang.exe: error: no such file or
directory: '/DWIN32' )

I did some research and found out that I should use clang-cl.exe and the
project finally got compiled, but I still know nothing about the clang and
clang-cl, here's my question:

1. Does clang-cl compile the source to object file by itself or is it just
a wrapper of MSVC?
2. What's the differences between clang.exe and clang-cl.exe?
3. Does clang-cl and clang both link to Windows version c++ standard
libraries on Windows platform?
4. Followed by 3, I alway feel uncomfortable to debugging codes on Window
C++ std libraries, for example on Linux, I can check values saved in a
vector, but on windows it's possible, it seems that Windows use another way
to implement it, I can only check the first and the last elements. So any
way I can use Linux versions (I don't know how to name it, maybe gcc
version)?