[cfe-dev] RFC: Allow non-member operator overloads for SVE types

Chris Tetreault via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 31 09:56:15 PDT 2020

   Before I say anything, I'd like to mention that I am generally in favor of having arithmetic operators defined for vector types. As a person with a background in 3d graphics, I know firsthand how irritating it can be to use named functions for arithmetic operations instead of operators. I realize the value that this feature provides.

   That said, there is a third option here: we could just not allow the operator overloads for SVE types. The unpublished ACLE spec update cited in the patch says that it's optional, we could just #define  __ARM_FEATURE_SVE_NONMEMBER_OPERATORS 0 and be done with it. This would provide the following advantages:

   1) Less divergence from the C++ standard. I'm sure this isn't the only place where we diverge.
   2) Less special case code in the compiler. Looking at the patch, it doesn't seem to be that big of a change. However, every special case we add is an increased maintenance burden.

   Leaving the operator support out has some issues as well:

   1) Awkward user code. Having to write code like auto res = add(mul(div(v1, v2), v3), neg(v4)) is painful.
   2) C++ programmers expect to be able to overload operators. I submit that most developers writing ACLE code might be able to accept that they are not writing "regular" C++ and might accept that the rules are different. They can just pretend that they're writing c code.

   Personally, I think allowing the operators is probably the way to go. The Pros seem to mainly effect the developers of Clang, and the Cons seem to mainly effect the users of Clang. I'd prefer if you did not have to define the operators in some special namespace, as I think that'll be very awkward in user code.

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault