[cfe-dev] [RFC] new format string attributes

Marcus Johnson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 25 08:46:00 PDT 2020

> That doesn't answer why we need a new format archtype. The archtypes
> are used because we want the check to model behavior specific to some
> API. If I understand your proposal properly, you're not proposing to
> add anything like uprintf() to a C library (and such an API doesn't
> already exist), so adding a new archtype surprises me. I would have
> thought the existing archtypes would suffice, but maybe I'm still
> misunderstanding a part of your proposal.
>
> ~Aaron

I'm not against adding printf functions to the C standard, I've got my own formatters that work with UTF-16 and UTF-32 and I just want to add compile time checking to them really.

the point of adding new length modifiers to the standard is so the current functions can accept a UTF-16 or UTF-32 strings or characters as arguments