[cfe-dev] Using clang static analyser / clang-tidy for assignments grading?

Nathan James via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 2 02:46:39 PST 2020

Hi Yahav,

I would suggest using clang-tidy and it's checks as inspiration. However for the purposes of what you need it would be best to make a new libtooling tool that still registers matchers and callbacks but doesn't have all the boilerplate that clang tidy needs. This will make it easier to implement the hooks you need for altering a students grade as well as prevent things like `//NOLINT` comments.

As for the issue with compiler errors, that shouldn't be a huge problem as the AST will get generated even with small compiler errors that the compiler can infer the fix for.

I do have another suggestion if you want to speed up marking the submissions is a testing framework. Just a tool that will compile and run the students submissions with specified inputs and verify their code has the desired output, after all their is no point in pretty code bug produces bad outputs.

Regards,
Nathan James