[cfe-dev] RFC: Easier AST Matching by Default

Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 30 12:47:21 PDT 2020

On 30/06/2020 00:22, David Rector wrote:
> Bottom line: you’ve raised a great but subtle point, doggedly pursued
> it, but now, let’s just get rid of the half measures — let’s go all
> out with a solution that is easy and lifts all boats.

I don't agree that it's a half-measure if we don't go with your
proposal. I deliberately didn't pursue your proposal long ago.

I don't think you pointed out anything in your proposal regarding the
clang-query feature.

I agree that typeloc matching can also be improved. I've focussed on
Exprs so far.

I think it would be great to conclude this thread with either

1) at least a reversal of the default (perhaps so that you can pursue
your design) or

2) intention to proceed in the way things are already going with my design.

I don't mind which we do.

I don't want to be left with the blame of having my design
half-implemented though :). There are bugs that I can not fix, partly
because this is not concluded.

If I can't move forward, then reversal is the only way (to give others
the space to validate their designs) and I'd like to do that soon, so
that this thread is not an open item for me (or anyone else) to deal with.

Thanks,

Stephen.