[cfe-dev] [RFC] Add the ability for clang-tidy to accept checks via plugins

Lewis, Cannada via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 25 11:34:54 PDT 2020

Hi,

At Sandia we are developing clang-tidy checks for our internal libraries in a llvm-project fork.  The number one request from our users is that we allow checks to be added to clang-tidy via plugins so that they do not have to build a new clang-tidy exe just to get new checks.

We are willing to give implementing this a try, but I wanted to see if the community could explain why plugins don't currently exist and help us get started in the process. Is it because there are difficult technical limitations? Or is it just that no one has spent much time on adding this feature?

Thanks for any advice and/or input.

-Cannada (Drew)