[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator Maintenance

Nicolai Hähnle via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 15:54:07 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 10:42 PM Chris Lattner via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > When I looked into this possibility (GitHub PR) when we merged MLIR in the monorepo: just Herald rules was already a blocker and I couldn't find a replacement readily available on GitHub. The handling of stack of revisions on GitHub was another problem mentioned.
>
> Fair enough - I haven’t investigated the technical issues with adopting GitHub PRs for LLVM.  My experience with the Swift community has been extremely positive though, I’d be surprised if there is something particularly crazy that only LLVM needs that GitHub hasn’t encountered.  That said, again, I don’t have any practical experience with this part of the stack,

This may be one of those vicious cycles where people who haven't
experienced the alternative simply don't realize what they're missing.
If you don't know how patch series work in practice, you don't realize
that GitHub lacks the tooling to deal with them. If you're stuck on
GitHub, you will never start working in patch series because the
tooling doesn't support it.

Perhaps one perspective on this that may help understanding is that
there are conflicting goals when it comes to review granularity. There
are forces that make small commits / small reviews desirable, but
there are also forces that make big reviews desirable. Working with
patch series makes multiple "levels of review detail" visible
simultaneously, which is a significant win for the review workflow.
I've written up those ideas in a bit more detail [0]. Phabricator's
Stack UI for this isn't great, but it's much better than what GitHub
has, which is basically nothing. (We try to do patch series in LLPC
sometimes, which uses GitHub PRs, but it really doesn't work well.)

Cheers,
Nicolai

[0] http://nhaehnle.blogspot.com/2020/06/they-want-to-be-small-they-want-to-be.html

> -Chris

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.