[cfe-dev] RFC: Easier AST Matching by Default

Yitzhak Mandelbaum via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 13:26:41 PDT 2020

My 2cents:

I mostly agree with Richard and Sam. My only concern w/ Richard's proposal
is that the hybrid model may be even more confusing to the beginner, since
it may be harder to predict how a given matcher will match against an AST.
The system will be more forgiving, yet it becomes harder to build a mental
model of how it works.  I think we'd need to be sure we can concisely
explain how this mode works, without having to reference any
code/algorithms. For example, is there a deterministic elaboration from any
unadorned matcher to a matcher with explicit `traverse` annotations? That
would allow us to give some examples that illuminate what's happening.
Otherwise, I'd prefer we just go back to the original default for the
library. I'm fine if beginner-oriented tools want to start with
"IgnoreUnless..." as their default. It sounds like Stephen is amenable to
this approach as well from his last reply.

re: context-sensitive suggestions.
Stephen, if you drop the need to suggest all possible matchers at that
point and only provide (beginner) helpful suggestions, does your concern go
away?  Why doesn't your concern already apply to the generic matchers like
"anyOf", "hasParent", etc.

Overall, I'm pessimistic about making the current matchers easier for
users. I think the AST is challenging for beginners and band aids will not
solve that and can often make it worse. If we want beginner-friendly
tooling (and I do!) we need to admit its cost and then invest in it. I have
opinions on alternatives (like Syntax Trees, touched on above, but also
other ideas), but this is not the place.  Even for your auto-suggestions
(which I really like), I think it would be more beneficial applied to such
alternatives.

Cheers,
yitzhak