[cfe-dev] RFC: Easier AST Matching by Default

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 22 07:36:08 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 2:53 AM Richard Smith via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> I'm not certain I agree about that, or that it is what a newcomer wants, but ok.

>>> I think that is addressing a symptom rather than the cause. I think the root cause is that a matcher that is explicitly asking to match a certain implicit (or sometimes-implicit) AST node does not match.
>>>

>>> That is the purpose of AsIs/Semantic mode if I understood you correctly.
>>>
>>> The intention of the IgnoreUnlessSpelledInSource/Syntactic node is to *not* match certain implicit (or sometimes-implicit) AST nodes.
>>>

>>> For example, I would expect that implicitCastExpr() *never* matches under the new default behavior.
>>>

>>> That is correct.
>>>

>>> And I think that users, and especially beginner users, will see that as being simply broken -- if someone tries to write an implicitCastExpr() matcher, it's obvious that they want to match implicit casts, and we are not doing the user any favors by making that matcher not match by default.
>>>

>>> Hmm, if someone is the kind of newcomer that they've never encountered a CallExpr, FunctionDecl or any other AST node in their life before, I don't see why implicitCastExpr() would be the first, or one of the first, things they try.
>>
>> Perhaps because they want to match an implicit cast, and they find it in the documentation. Perhaps because they read one of the guides that says "look at the AST dump and write matchers to match what you see there".
>>

>> I'm not sure which guide says that, but perhaps it should be updated to point people at clang-query. At least the guide I wrote does that: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/exploring-clang-tooling-part-2-examining-the-clang-ast-with-clang-query/
>>

>>> There may be different/multiple levels of newcomer that we each have in mind here.
>>>
>>> If someone is a kind of newcomer who wants to match on an implicitCastExpr(), then they're probably also the kind of newcomer who knows that's an implicit node and they should use Semantic node instead of Syntactic mode. Do you agree?
>>
>> No. I think it's bad API design to have any mode in which implicitCastExpr compiles but doesn't ever match.
>>

>> Hmm, yes. Perhaps if the IgnoreUnlessSpelledInSource mode survives it should reject a matcher like that.
>>
>> ----
>>
>> You've suggested a different behavior for matchers which I don't think anyone is working on (the design of or the implementation of).
>>
>> I continue to think the current behavior is sufficiently motivated by the examples in the RFC.
>>
>> But, there's still tension about it.
>>
>> So, where to from here?
>>
>> Does the default have to be changed back to AsIs? Does IgnoreUnlessSpelledInSource have to be removed? Does the traverse() matcher have to be removed?
>
> I would like to hear the opinions of others on these questions. I think we've both described our perspectives and made our cases.

I am sympathetic to the use case where the user has written a matcher
to match against an implicit node in IgnoreUnlessSpelledInSource mode
-- I think the current behavior in that case can be confusing to new
users and experts alike. To me, I think there are two ways to handle
that circumstance: we could support matching the implicit nodes in
that mode because the user explicitly asked to match that kind of node
or we could diagnose the situation for the user because they're likely
confused. If we were writing a compiler for this DSL, I think a
compile-time diagnostic might be a viable approach, but we're limited
to what we can catch statically with C++ for this interface and so I'm
not confident that we *can* diagnose this situation at compile time.
So I think the only realistic options are: 1) status quo, 2) support
matching, 3) runtime diagnostics.  My current feeling is that
supporting matching in that case is the most user-friendly of the
three behaviors.

> Just expanding on my position from earlier in this thread slightly: to directly address the "where to from here?" question, I would like us to get back to the state where, in our default mode, the matcher for AST node X is always able to match all instances of AST node X.

I think this is defensible. The user wrote the matcher explicitly, so
it stands to reason they expect it to match in this case.

~Aaron