[cfe-dev] Question about contribution

Ray Zhang via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 11 18:30:56 PDT 2020

Hi cfe-dev,

I've been playing around with clang's frontend and I really appreciate how
well documented and noob-friendly it is in order to develop tooling for
C++. I see in this page <https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangTools.html> that
one of the ideas for new tools is to refactor C-style casts to the
appropriate C++ style cast. I'm interested in working on it but I'm not
sure where I should contribute it to. I see in clang-tools-extra that there
are two ways of adding features, and that is to add the project at the
top-level as something like clang-refactor-casts, or to contribute to
clang-tidy, particularly the modernize subdirectory which the change for
this also fits appropriately in.

Is there some documentation somewhere that outlines where new contributions
for projects of this type should go to? I'd love to help in any way I can :)

- Ray