[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Clang/LLVM function ABI lowering (was: Re: [RFC] Refactor Clang: move frontend/driver/diagnostics code to LLVM)

Eli Friedman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 4 08:47:36 PDT 2020

In LLVM, ABI information currently comes from three sources:

  1.  The function type
  2.  The calling convention
  3.  Attributes

I’m getting the following from your description of what you think needs to change:

  1.  ABI attributes shouldn’t be mixed with other attributes; we should have some data structure dedicated to ABI information.
  2.  ABI information should be explicitly target-specific: instead of using attributes like “inreg” that have target-specific meanings, each target-specific ABI attribute should have its own target-specific name.
  3.  We should depend more on explicit ABI information, as opposed to depending on each target’s default rules.
  4.  We should document each ABI supported by clang.
  5.  LLVM function types should be fixed to correspond more closely to C function types.

I think messing with LLVM function types is a giant sinkhole that would destroy any comprehensive proposal, though.  The LLVM type system is not the C type system; LLVM structs are not C structs, and LLVM functions are not C functions.  And any changes are very high impact: messing with struct or function types would impact basically every file in LLVM.