[cfe-dev] [RFC] Refactor Clang: move frontend/driver/diagnostics code to LLVM

Eli Friedman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 2 12:51:06 PDT 2020

Separate from clang, LLVM itself actually has its own infrastructure for source locations and diagnostics, which is used by various tools that parse text.  See llvm/Support/SourceMgr.h.  The reason this was implemented separately is that clang's infrastructure is overly complicated for most uses.  One, it's designed to support rich source locations out of C macro expansions.  Two, there's a bunch of infrastructure for managing the diagnostics themselves: warning levels, warning groups, etc.  If you don't need either of those, the clang infrastructure is overkill, and harder to use.

It's possible that flang's needs are similar enough to clang that it actually wants all the clang infrastructure.  But I can't imagine anyone else would want to use it over simpler alternatives.

Mapping source locations from LLVM IR back to the frontend is a separate issue, which I don't think is related to this.  We probably don't want to tie LLVM IR to any specific frontend representation of source code, and there isn't really any need.  See, for example, http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#inline-asm-metadata .

-Eli