[cfe-dev] Can indirect class parameters be noalias?

John McCall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 31 10:43:28 PDT 2020

n 31 Jul 2020, at 7:35, Hal Finkel wrote:
> On 7/29/20 9:00 PM, John McCall via cfe-dev wrote:
>>
>> On 29 Jul 2020, at 17:42, Richard Smith wrote:
>>
>>     On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 at 12:52, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com>
>> wrote:

>>     I think concretely, the escape hatch doesn't stop things from
>>     going wrong,
>>     because -- as you note -- even though we *could* have made a
>> copy,
>>     it's
>>     observable whether or not we *did* make a copy. For example:
>>
>> I would say that it’s observable whether the parameter variable has
>> the same address as the argument. That doesn’t /have/ to be the
>> same
>> question as whether a copy was performed: we could consider there to
>> be
>> a formal copy (or series of copies) that ultimately creates /an/
>> object
>> at the same address, but it’s not the /same/ object and so pointers
>> to the old object no longer validly pointer to it. But I guess that
>> would probably violate the lifetime rules, because it would make
>> accesses
>> through old pointers UB when in fact they should at worst access a
>> valid
>> object that’s just unrelated to the parameter object.
>>

> I think that it would be great to be able to do this, but
> unfortunately, I think that the point that you raise here is a key
> issue. Whether or not the copy is performed is visible in the model,
> and so we can't simply act as though there was a copy when optimizing.
> Someone could easily have code that looks like:
>
> Foo DefaultX;

> void something(Foo &A, Foo &B) {
>
>   if (&A == &B) { ... }
>
> }
>
> void bar(Foo X) { something(X, DefaultX); }

This example isn’t really on point; a call like `bar(DefaultX)`
obviously cannot just pass the address of `DefaultX` as a by-value
argument without first proving a lot of stuff about how `foo` uses both
its parameter and `DefaultX`.  I think `noalias` is actually a subset of
what would have to be proven there.

In general, the standard is clear that you cannot rely on escaping a
pointer to/into a trivially-copyable pr-value argument prior to the call
and then rely on that pointer pointing into the corresponding parameter
object.  Implementations are *allowed* to introduce copies.  But it does
seem like the current wording would allow you to rely on that pointer
pointing into *some* valid object, at least until the end of the
caller’s full-expression.  That means that, if we don’t guarantee to
do an actual copy of the argument, we cannot make it UB to access the
parameter variable through pointers to the argument temporary, which is
what marking the parameter as `noalias` would do.

So I guess the remaining questions are:

- Is this something we can reasonably change in the standard?
- Are we comfortable setting `noalias` in C if the only place that would
break is with a C++ caller?

John.