[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Using Phabricator Project/Group and Ponder

Whisperity via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 28 16:34:13 PDT 2020

One upside of a dedicated service would be the ability to reply to threads
that never made it to your inbox. Right now, if I would like to reply to
something I didn't receive (such as the thread on llvm-dev, a list I didn't
subscribe to, about Phab maintenance and upgrade) it's.... Well, I'd say
impossible in a way that mailman picks up as a real reply.
(Maybe there's a way to craft the right email headers, etc. It's not
terribly important, and I also haven't given it much thought. So take
"impossible" with a mine of salt.)

However, one great upside of the mailing list is the ability to interface
with it easily. Personally, I'm not very active on the list, but my biggest
active streak is when I've nothing better to do and only got my phone or a
low grade tablet... on both of which, accessing and writing emails is easy,
but logging into arbitrary websites with potentially misbehaving mobile
support, unknown ability to really save draft messages, etc... would not be
convenient.

So far I've not seen people using encrypted messages or digital signatures
on mails here (unlike some other lists I'm on...) which is a great + as the
email clients can properly keep the discussion threaded. (Outlook seems to
flop from PGP signatures which is a constant casus belli with a colleague.)

Discord being silent isn't an issue by itself. It's a fundamentally
different medium (think of an IRC on steroids with builtin logging
enabled...) which people naturally use differently. It's not a system
that's well-designed or meant for long term, or even "technical"
discussions.
And you also have to take into account the problems with timezones because
we're an international community.
And, when filtered for CSA *specifically*, also a very small community.
(Another unfortunate thing with Discord is that many corporations go out of
their way to prevent their people from accessing it from corporate
machines...)

I think tagging messages is a good thing. I also vaguely remember mailman
supporting a "per-topic subscription" sort of thing. But I've never been a
mailman admin at large, so I'm not sure about how much of a configuration
hell would be to set it up.