[cfe-dev] [FileCheck] RFC: Add support for line anchors.

Joel E. Denny via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 17 11:52:14 PDT 2020

Hi Nathan,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 12:23 PM Nathan James via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering about extending FileCheck to enable creating line
> anchors. These are numeric variables that hold the value of the line
> number that where they were defined.

I think something like this could be useful.  However, I think it would be
more useful to have a general directive for defining FileCheck variables
inline without trying to capture from input.  For example:

```
#define BAD_FUNCTION() badFunction() // CHECK-DEFINE: [[#BAD_FUNC:@LINE]]
// Further down in the file
  BAD_FUNCTION();
CHECK-NOTES: [[@LINE-1]]:3: warning: called a bad function
CHECK-NOTES :[[#BAD_FUNC]]:3: note: expanded from macro 'BAD_FUNCTION'
```

The exact syntax is debatable.

I think this form is more useful because it can also define strings or
numerics (or maybe even patterns) to be reused in multiple FileCheck
directives across multiple FileCheck calls from different RUN lines.
Currently, you either have to capture such a variable from the input or
specify it with -D on every FileCheck call that needs it.

James Henderson: Weren't you working on something like this?

Thanks.

Joel