[cfe-dev] [RFC] Moving (parts of) the Cling REPL in Clang

Vassil Vassilev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 10 13:59:22 PDT 2020

Hi Richard,

On 7/10/20 11:10 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi Vassil,
>
> This is a very exciting proposal that I can imagine bringing important
> benefits to the existing cling users and also to the clang user and
> developer community. Thank you for all the work you and your team have
> done on cling so far and for offering to bring that work under the
> LLVM umbrella!
>
> Are you imagining cling being part of the clang repository, or a
> separate LLVM subproject (with only the changes necessary to support
> cling-style uses of the clang libraries added to the clang tree)?

   Good question. In principle cling was developed with the idea to
become a separate LLVM subproject. Although I'd easily see it fit in
clang/tools/.

   Nominally, cling has "high-energy physics"-specific features such as
the so called 'meta commands'. For example, `[cling] .L some_file` would
try to load a library called some_file.so and if it does not exist, try
#include-ing a header with that name; `[cling] .x script.C` includes
script.C and calls a function named `script`. I can imagine that broader
community may not like/use that. If we start trimming down features like
that then it won't really be cling anymore. Here is what I would imagine
as a way forward:

   1. Land as many cling/"incremental compilation"-related patches as we
can in clang.
   2. Build a simple tool, let's use a strawman name -- clang-repl,
which only does the basics. For example, one can feed it incremental C++
and execute it.
   3. Rework cling to use that infrastructure -- ideally, implementing
it's specific meta commands and other domain-specific features such as
dynamic scopes.

   We could move any of the cling features which the broader community
finds useful closer to clang. For the moment I am being conservative as
this will also give us the opportunity to rethink some of the features.

   The hard part is what lives where. First bullet point is clear. The
second -- not so much. Clang has a clang-interpreter in its examples
folder and it looks a little unmaintained. Maybe we can start
repurposing that to match 2.

   As for cling itself there are some challenges we should try to solve.
Our community lives downstream (currently llvm-5) and a straight-forward
llvm upgrade + bugfixing takes around 3 months due to the nature of our
software stacks. It would be a non-trivial task to move the cling-based
development in llvm upstream. My worry is that HEP-cling will soon
depart from LLVM-cling if we don't get both communities on the same
codebase (we have experienced such a problem with the getFullyQualified*
interfaces). I am hoping that a middleman, such as clang-repl, can help.
When we move parts of cling in clang we will develop and test the
required functionality using clang-repl. This way users will enjoy
cling-like experience and when cling upgrades its llvm its codebase will
become smaller in size.

   Am I making sense?