[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Replacing the default CRT allocator on Windows

Mitch Phillips via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 7 14:14:53 PDT 2020

+Kostya Kortchinsky <kostyak at google.com>

w.r.t the licensing problem of a new allocator - have you considered using
Scudo? The version in compiler-rt *is* the upstream (and thus fully
licensed with LLVM), and it's what we use as the production allocator in
Android. The docs <https://llvm.org/docs/ScudoHardenedAllocator.html> are a
little out of date (see the source code in //compiler-rt/lib/scudo/
*standalone* for the bleeding edge), and it doesn't support Windows out of
the box currently - but there have been some successful experiments
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D42519> to get it working. I don't imagine that
getting full support would be more challenging than setting some sort of
frankenbuild up. From Kostya (who maintains Scudo), "I don't think the port
is going to be a lot of effort".