[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Kristina Brooks via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 23 16:29:54 PST 2020

Not intended to be a strong opinion but I prefer Phab as a dedicated
code review tool. In addition to that, it has accumulated quite a
number of differentials making it easy to reference past reviews, as
well as SVN commits that happened before the decision to migrate to
Git was made. While I haven't had excellent experiences with Arcanist
and only used it a few times, I think referencing differentials (in
form of `Differential Revision: ...`) in commit messages is easy
enough without needing a separate tool for it. While I understand the
desire to use Git (and hence the GitHub migration) as a VCS, that
doesn't necessarily translate to positive experiences with GitHub
itself, especially as a code review tool. Phab, in my opinion, can be
used just fine without Arcanist (which uses Phab's Conduit API). I
don't think frustrating experiences with Arcanist necessarily
translate to negative experiences with Phab. I know that some hold a
different opinion, but I think GitHub tries to do too much, but not
necessarily as well as dedicated tools.