[cfe-dev] exhaustiveness of CSA checkers

Fernandez, Matthew via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 10:17:29 PST 2020

Thanks, Gabor. Sounds like this might be beyond CSA’s abilities. Answers to your very apt questions below.

> How much control-flow awareness do you need? Do you really need path-sensitivity or flow-sensitive is sufficient? Or maybe lexical scoping is enough?
It seems to me currently that we need path-sensitivity. I’ve been exploring some lexical approaches in parallel though, including an RAII-style rephrasing of the code.

> Do you need interprocedural analysis? If so, do you have recursion? Do you need context sensitivity? Can you add annotations to help guide the analysis?
No IPA necessary and there’s no recursion. In most cases we can ignore context, even to the extent of ignoring the content of a conditional and just noting there’s a branch in control flow (with the exception of when a branch condition depends on a lock acquisition result). Annotations are possible, but if it comes to this I would probably look at more drastic refactoring of the code. CSA would not be the only thing consuming this code, so it would still need to be correct and complete without the annotations.

> How complex is the task that you want to accomplish? Are locks reentrant? Do you have to support more complex try_lock style APIs? Or is it sufficient to only check the order of the API calls?
The locks are not re-entrant, though their only APIs are try_lock-style. So the analysis needs to comprehend whether lock acquisition succeeded or failed.

> you could take a look at Thread Safety
Interesting, I was not aware of this. It looks like maybe I can make this work for my purposes. Thanks for the pointer.