[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Doerfert, Johannes via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 02:47:08 PST 2020

On 01/14, David Greene via cfe-dev wrote:
> Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
> > Granted, GitHub's UI is much "simpler" than Phab, but to my view, this
> > is not a problem, but a benefit.
> >
> > If we moved to GitHub PRs today, I wouldn't miss a thing.
>
> +1.
>
> I still find Phab to be inscrutable.  I don't use any of its advanced
> features.  I'm a long-time contributor.

I asked a similar question in this thread in the very beginning: What
actual problems do you have with Phab? There might be usable solutions
out there already. The last time someone actually listed problems we got
a lot of good responses, some of which I will try out myself.

> I can't imagine how difficult it is for folks new to the project.

I am always in favor of improving the documentation. We need more
concrete problem descriptions though.

> For all of GitHub's many flaws, its very strong advantage is that it is
> a de facto standard.  People understand it.

I do not. Arguably because I have not yet used it. However, "it is a de
facto standard" is a weird argument for anything. People are advocating
to move away from mailing lists towards other system though mailing
lists are, or at least were, "de facto standard". Is the idea to keep up
with the "de facto standard" or to improve the status quo (for group X*)?

* Substitute X as you see fit.

Cheers,
  Johannes