[cfe-dev] PE/COFF for MIPS

Chris Hanson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 25 07:40:51 PST 2020

On Feb 23, 2020, at 9:40 PM, valerij zaporogeci via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I am not a compiler guy, so making changes in such huge projects as
> gcc or clang are out of my scope. I am working on firmware/osdev hobby
> projects for a mips32r2 board (among ARM ones) and would be very happy
> to use such a familiar, useful and handy PE/COFF format for
> executables.

If you have a choice in the matter, just use ELF. It’s the most well-trod path.

Up to this point in your message, I thought you might be trying to target Windows NT for MIPS with a modern compiler. I suspect in that case what you’d want to do is look at how the PE/COFF support is implemented for Windows 32- and 64-bit x86, and see how much of that could be generalized to “any Windows platform.”

  -- Chris