[cfe-dev] PE/COFF for MIPS

David Chisnall via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 24 02:57:49 PST 2020

I think there's also a broader question of 'which COFF'.  A lot of the
LLVM code assumes that COFF approximates to Windows.  If the goal is to
target NT 4 or WinCE, which both had MIPS ports, then it's some work but
it's largely a matter of adapting the code in the x86 and ARM back ends.
  There are (were?) also a number of *NIX MIPS systems that used COFF as
their binary format and these have very little in common with the
Windows format (other than the container structure).  Relocation types
are different, the C++ ABI is different and there are probably some
other differences.  If this is for a hobby OS, what are the requirements?

As I recall, Sony has some changes to clang/llvm/FreeBSD-rtld to support
dllimport / dllexport in ELF binaries.  If this is the requirement, then
perhaps asking them to upstream them would be a simpler solution?  As I
recall, they were private because they didn't think anyone else wanted
them, rather than because they involved any competitive advantage.

David