[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] MLIR for clang

C Bergström via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 17 09:46:12 PST 2020

When you actually start to solve and implement this you'll find that "LLVM
IR" is actually mid-whirl on an almost 1:1 basis. (super close). However,
we don't exactly do IR<>IR translation and instead hook in at an API level.
So it's more matching constructs and trying to "get in where you fit in".
Since we had overlapping mid-whirl optimizations we had to figure out which
to turn on/off on each side.

We also skipped VH Whirl for a number of reasons and just kinda cut it out.
I don't think Fred is subscribed to the list, but he isn't the only smart
person who worked on the compiler. There were a few managers, brilliant
people and unsung heroes who worked at SGI.

Dror Maydan and Sun Chan were more intimately involved with the actual
implementation of loop optimizations iirc. Fred's best known for his low
level codegen work and overall vision of compiler architecture.