[cfe-dev] [Analyzer][RFC] Function Summaries

Gábor Márton via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 6 07:59:18 PST 2020

> During analysis we don't do CodeGen so I do not really see the first part
> as a concern. We do not load those notes during compilation and we do not
> generate code when we load the notes. The lack of C++ support is definitely
> a problem. The question is, is it better to improve APINotes to fit our
> needs or to do something similar from scratch?

APINotes is a generic framework for attributing any functions. And the
metadata read from the .apinotes files is stored in the AST and can be
queried later as `Decl->getAttr<...>()`. This mechanism could be very
useful for the whole community, i.e. for optimization, and for other tools.
However, with analyzer specific function summaries we don't want to have
the burden of creating such a generic framework that is suitable for the
whole community. The summary based experiments are way too immature now,
and we don't want to turn our focus on creating such a generic framework.
Integrating APINotes to mainstream Clang would require coordination and
consensus within the **whole** Clang community. That would require huge
efforts from all of us and we would quickly loose the focus from the
original goal which is to experiment with summaries **within** the
analyzer. Thus, we'd like to keep the summaries describing format inside
the premises of the analyzer.
Instead of APINotes, we propose to factor out the YAML parsing part from
GenericTaintChecker into a modeling checker that would populate a GDM with
the summaries metadata. That data could be used then in any checker, e.g.
by the Taint or the StdLibraryFunctions checker.