[cfe-dev] [RFC] Proposing an Extended Integer Type

Jon Chesterfield via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 6 04:11:36 PST 2020

> C’s promotion rules are unfortunate for almost everything :-).

plus:

> 2) Go for strict equivalent with no promotion rules, requiring everything
> to be explicit.

suggest that we would have a significant number of users of _ExtInt with 32
or 64 bit width. I'd cheerfully replace uint64_t with _ExtInt(64) (or
however it's spelled) everywhere.

I also know of an isa which would have loved a twelve bit integer as an
argument to an intrinsic as the instruction itself did 12 bit wrapping
arithmetic.

Thanks