[cfe-dev] Static check on memcpy()

Chris Hamilton via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Dec 4 06:47:45 PST 2020

Quoth Richard Smith:

In this particular case, where we can statically see that the size of the source is sizeof(struct S), it seems like this is something we could easily warn on, using much the same logic that FORTIFY_SOURCE would use at runtime: effectively, compute `__builtin_object_size(&src)` and compare that to `sizeof(struct S) + 1`. While that seems straightforward enough, it's only going to work in the cases where the pointer arguments are simple enough that we can constant-evaluate them in the frontend. Is that general enough for what you're looking for? (I think as a general strategy, implementing warnings for all the cases that FORTIFY_SOURCE would trap on at runtime would be a great idea.)

So, to be sure I understand, if instead of this:

  memcpy(dest, &src, sizeof(struct S) + 1);

we had this:

  unsigned famLen = …;  // some passed parameter or computed value

  memcpy(dest, &src, sizeof(struct S) + famLen);

then, the FE would not be able to warn about this because ‘sizeof(struct S) + famLen’ cannot be constant-evaluated?

Chris