[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Calling SymbolReaper::markInUse on BinarySymExprs are ignored

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 20 09:41:39 PDT 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 23:18, Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Gabor, we've talked about this two days ago >_>

This email is much easier to follow than a verbal discussion :D Now I have
a much better understanding of what you meant.

> I believe we should remove SymbolConjured's identity elements from
> SymbolMetadata and instead make it work more like SymbolRegionValue works
> in RegionStore. Namely:

If SymbolMetadata works like SymbolRegionValue, do we actually need both? I
mean I do understand that we use them for different purposes, but we could
also have a type alias or something like that if that actually helps
understanding how the analyzer works.

> 2. Get rid of the metadata-in-use set. From now on SymbolMetadata, like
> SymbolRegionValue, is live whenever its region is live.

Will this work for code examples where the actual string is already dead
but we still want to compute with its length?