[cfe-dev] [analyzer][RFC] Get info from the LLVM IR for precision

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 17 04:31:07 PDT 2020

On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 at 21:57, Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:

> So i believe that implementing as many of these analyses over the Clang
> CFG (or in many cases it might be over the AST as well) would be beneficial
> and should be done regardless of this experiment.

While I do agree that this would be awesome, I think many of those analyses
are quite painful to implement on our current CFG compared to an already
lowered representation like the LLVM IR which can be canonicalized and
there are fewer corner cases and peculiarities to handle compared to the
C++ language. Having the option to derive certain information from a
representation that is easier to work with for some purposes might be
useful for future analyses as well, not only for leveraging currently
implemented analyses. Having a proper Clang IR could of course void this
argument.