[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Is there precedent for customizing clang -help output in a toolchain specific way

Andrzej Warzynski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 6 12:44:21 PDT 2020

Hey Todd,

Sadly I've not had the bandwidth to look into this more. I've simply
tweaked PrintHelp() via clang::driver::options::ClangFlangs (I added an
extra flag for Flang). The other options (i.e. irrelevant for Flang) are
always there (i.e. present in OptTable) - we only control what's
displayed via `-help`. Perhaps this is _the canonical_ solution to this?
IIUC, that's what you've tried to begin with.

I share your observation - anything more sound (e.g. constructing
customized OptTable) requires non-trivial refactoring. However, I've
noticed that parsing of command line options is already quite optimised
and I'm not convinced that trimming OptTable would be beneficial. But
I'd have to dive a bit deeper into this.

I've recently shared our updated plan for the Flang driver on cfe-dev
[1]. There's a section on options too, though it's more or less what we
discussed here already. Tl;Dr We'd like to refactor libclangDriver a
bit, but that's excluding the toolchain options.

-Andrzej

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2020-July/066393.html