[cfe-dev] RFC: Remove uninteresting debug locations at -O0

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 30 07:01:37 PDT 2020

That's definitely one thing a debugger user would like to do.
Another is something like a "do-over" which we've tried to support in our
debugger: you've stepped to line 27, had your "aha" moment, diddled some
values, now you drag your cursor back to line 24 and click "step".  This
can only work if all the instructions contributing to line 24 are actually
attributed to line 24.

Let me point out another aspect of what happens when you've done the load:
The value now exists in two places.  DWARF is able to describe this with
location lists (entry ranges are explicitly permitted to overlap) although
LLVM doesn't have a way to track or report that.  If we did, then Pavel's
scenario would work fine with Adrian's idea, because the debugger would be
able to update *both* places that had the value (assuming the debugger was
alert to the possibility of a value in multiple places).
--paulr