[cfe-dev] RFC: Remove uninteresting debug locations at -O0

Pavel Labath via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 29 04:26:34 PDT 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 at 22:58, Adrian Prantl via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> or will inherit whatever debug location the instruction before it has

This part looks worrying to me. Would that mean, that if in your
example, I set a breakpoint on line 7, the program would stop directly
at the callq instruction? That seems like it would break the following
flow:
b 7
run
# program stops at line 7
p foo
# hmm... that value isn't right, lemme see what happens if I change it
p foo = other_foo
continue

In non-optimized builds I would expect to be able to make these kinds
of modifications to the program and things should generally "work". In
that sense, maybe these loads are not "uninteresting" as they are what
makes these modifications take effect.