[cfe-dev] Option -mtune

David Greene via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 26 15:32:02 PDT 2020

James Y Knight via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

>> Honestly, the whole system needs an overhaul:
>>
>> http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/Behavior-of-mcpu-td4064178.html
>>
>> I noticed this odd difference in behavior based on target.  In the end
>> the answer was, "We want to behave like gcc," but that is not a very
>> compelling argument to me.  Yes "-m" options are machine-specific, but
>> giving the same option with the same name different behaviors is
>> non-intuitive.
>>

> As mentioned before, being compatible with GCC is a *huge* advantage for
> clang. I agree that it's quite unfortunate that the march/mcpu/mtune set of
> options are so divergent in behavior between targets.

But we're already incompatible because we require -target to do
cross-compiling.  Yes, gcc is not natively a cross compiler so you have
to do special builds for that so I understand why -target exists.

And what do we mean by "compatible" in this context.  Do we mean the
options are accepted (they absolutely should be) or do we mean we match
gcc behavior exactly.  I would submit that we should *not* do the latter
but rather do something better.

Right now I am not able to gather a list of what -march/-mcpu/-mtune do
for each target because it's not documented anywhere.  The best I could
do is consult the gcc documentation and *assume* clang does the same.

Would it be helpful to gather a description of what these flags do in
gcc for the targets clang supports and present a summary of the current
gcc state with a proposal of what clang might do better?

Because right now what we have is honestly quite difficult to use.

>> Given the way -target works, we're already incompatible with gcc (gcc
>> with happily cross-compile/tune with -mcpu), so why not just do the
>> Right Thing and make these options behave uniformly across targets?  In
>> my mind it should be something like this
>

> GCC does _not_ support using -mcpu to switch the target, you need to
> compile an entirely new GCC. Clang follows the same scheme as GCC does,
> except that you run:
>    clang -target $TRIPLE -mcpu $CPU
> instead of building a brand new GCC targeting $TRIPLE, called $TRIPLE-gcc,
> and then running:
>    $TRIPLE-gcc -mcpu $CPU
> (of course, sometimes using -march instead of -mcpu, depending on the
> triple...)

Yes I know that and I apologize for my clumsy wording.  I was trying to
point out that if someone is cross compiling, the options passed to a
cross-gcc already differ from the options passed to clang because clang
needs --target.  The user already needs to adjust build systems for gcc
vs. clang builds.

                     -David