[cfe-dev] Warnings after running PREfast on LLVM

Mandeep Singh Grang via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 22 15:36:56 PDT 2020

Hi,
As part of compliance for our Checked C
<https://github.com/microsoft/checkedc-clang> LLVM compiler, we at
Microsoft ran the PREfast
<https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/167588/Using-PREfast-for-Static-Code-Analysis>
static
analysis tool on the entire llvm/clang codebase. The tool reported hundreds
of warnings due to variables being shadowed.For example:

clang/lib/Sema/TreeTransform.h(3709) Local declaration of 'I' hides
declaration of the same name in outer scope. See previous declaration at
line '3653'.

We can upstream fixes to these (and other) warnings if the community would
like them fixed. The full list of warnings can be found here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h_3tHxsgBampxb7PXoB5lgwiBSpTty9RLe5maIQxnTk/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Also, is there a reason we do not turn on the -Wshadow flag by default for
llvm builds?

Thanks,
Mandeep