[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] clang-format sets executable permission on windows (openNativeFile ignores mode on Windows)

Chris Tetreault via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 20 09:31:59 PDT 2020

I’m using Cygwin to interact with the source tree. My sources (I’m working on LLVM itself) were created by other developers (and by extension, created by git.exe on my machine), but a quick expirement of trying “touch foo” shows that Cygwin creates files with 644 mode. Finding the file I created in explorer and checking the properties shows it has the following NTFS permissions:

My user: Read, Write
Domain users: Read
Everyone: Read

I suppose “whatever Cygwin does” might serve as a good model of how me might meaningfully translate unix-style permissions to windows. I’ve created a bug for this (45619), I can update it with this suggestion.

As for the harmlessness of a source file being committed with executable permissions, I think it’s a security risk. An attacker can know that a program creates files with executable permissions. They can presumably trick llvm into producing a script that they can run on a target machine. Even if you disagree that this is a big deal, I’ve worked on projects previously where you would get dinged in code review for setting executable permissions on source files. It would be hugely annoying to have to remember to fixup the permissions every time you invoke clang-format.

Thanks,
   Christopher Tetreault