[cfe-dev] Optimization of arithmetic expressions involving user-defined C++ objects

ardi via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 17 04:13:40 PDT 2020

Hi again,

(I'm forwarding this to llvm-dev because after reading the "Extending
LLVM" document (https://llvm.org/docs/ExtendingLLVM.html) it gives the
advice of asking in llvm-dev those questions related to adding new
types)

After deeper considerations on how could I get arithmetic expressions
optimized when they take C++ objects whose operators you implement in
software (imagine a software implementation of IEEE fp types), I'm
coming to the conclusion that the only way for achieving this would be
to implement them not as regular C++ classes in your C++ code, but
internally in LLVM, so that the operators are not substituted before
the translation to IR, but later (either in the backend or perhaps
just before the backend is invoked).

Which I guess redefines my question in much more precise terms:

Can I create new custom builtin types whose operators are not
implemented in CPU-dependent backend code, but on IR code instead? Can
I assign a performance cost to each IR operator, so that they are
optimized while in IR rather than on the backend scheduler? How can I
do this, is there any similar example that I could follow?

Note: My wish of trying to do this in IR rather than in the
CPU-dependent backend is because maintaining a custom builtin whose
operators are actually implemented in C++ code would be perhaps a huge
effort if you need to implement it in all available CPU backends,
while an implementation in IR could be more manageable (perhaps even
automated by invoking clang for getting the IR for the C++ code of
each of your operators).

Thanks a lot!

ardi