[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] 7-8% compile time slowdowns in LLVM 10

Alexandre Ganea via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 15 10:32:28 PDT 2020

I suggested Neil to apply https://reviews.llvm.org/D71786 (rpmalloc) and he reported:

“[..] its about 6.5% faster using the rpmalloc LLVM vs LLVM 9 without. It is a cool 14% faster than LLVM 10 too!”

(https://twitter.com/sheredom/status/1250138086811602944?s=20)

I ran some tests locally, and as a first order of approximation, even without rpmalloc it seems Clang 10 is faster than Clang 9 for a whole build. Although locally when iterating on a single file, it could be slower like Neil suggests.

The test consists in compiling LLVM|Clang|LLD on release/10.x at HEAD using the compilers below. I built each compiler with Clang 10, except MSVC which is provided for reference. Median timings for a clean build (`ninja all`).

                Clang 9.0.1                          6 min 48 sec (+/- 23 sec)
                Clang 10.0                            5 min 55 sec (+/- 5 sec)
                Clang 10.0 optimal           5 min 20 sec (+/- 5 sec)
                Clang 11 (994543ab)        6 min (+/- 5 sec)
VS2019 16.5.4                    7 min 20 (+/- 15 sec)

Tested on Windows 10 build 1909, on a 36-core dual Xeon Gold 6140, with RAID-0 NVMe SSDs. I disabled Windows Defender for the test.

The greater variability in “Clang 9.0.1” is due to launching two processes for each clang-cl invocation, where as 10+ calls only one (like MSVC), see -fintegrated-cc1.

“Clang 10.0 optimal” is a two-stage build using ThinLTO and -O3 on the second stage and tailored for the 6140 (-march=skylake-avx512). It also has D71786 (rpmalloc) applied.

I can possibly take some profile traces, see if anything stands out between 9 and 10.

Alex.