[cfe-dev] [clang-tidy] RFC: "Experimental" checkers

via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 10 01:11:15 PDT 2020

Since no-one picked this up, I’ll just comment although I’m not deeply involved. Maybe this will trigger someone else.

I personally like the idea in general. While there is a risk of stuff being experimental forever there is also more feedback and more contributions that way compared to those checkers being hidden somewhere privately.

Also I agree on the stability comments. It doesn’t make sense to add rules so bad that they just crash. The goal should be to collect real feedback, real bug reports, etc.

I’m also thinking of the const adding checker (Sorry I forgot the name), which had like 0,1% false positives and therefore cannot be declared fully ‘working’ yet (as far as I remember).

With that checker being easily available to more people maybe some simpler cases with false positives will emerge which are easier to analyze.

The other questions I leave to the experts ;-)

Regards,

Alex