[cfe-dev] clang-format: AllowAllArgumentsOnNextLine/AllowAllParametersOfDeclarationOnNextLine applied to template arguments/parameters

Marat Stanichenko via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 27 03:54:20 PDT 2019

Dear Clang Developers,

Please, redirect me if it is not the right place for the question below.

If I interpret the documentation correctly AllowAllArgumentsOnNextLine and
AllowAllParametersOfDeclarationOnNextLine
are only applied to function calls and function declarations respectively.

>From this perspective I find templates (both function and class) very
similar to normal functions.

Therefore, I just wanted to ask if it was ever considered to have similar
functionality for templates by having
something like AllowAllTemplateArgumentsOnNextLine and
AllowAllTemplateParametersOfDeclarationOnNextLine
to control the behavior in the following cases:

true:
callFunctionTemplate<
    a, b, c, d>();
callClassTemplateStaticMethod<
    a, b, c, d>::functionCall();

false:
callFunctionTemplate<a,
                                     b,
                                     c,
                                     d>();
callClassTemplateStaticMethod<a
                                                     b,
                                                     c,
                                                     d>::functionCall()

If it makes sense, may I consider this as a feature request please?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Marat