[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Nemanja Ivanovic via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 20 16:52:00 PST 2019

If I am not mistaken, there are two things that are becoming clear:
1. For email, nobody seems to be against Discourse as long as the mailing
lists are still a supported way to participate. So this seems
non-controversial.
2. For IRC, people seem to be happy with switching to a more modern
solution, but Discord is largely disliked by a significant portion of
respondents.

So perhaps we can focus the discussion on "if not Discord, what else?"

Slack appears to be problematic due to lack of moderation capabilities.
Although I don't understand that, I think it is fine - does not meet a key
goal so we can't consider it.

This Matrix thing was brought up by some as a possibly viable way forward.
Can we look into whether it meets all the goals?

Perhaps a good start would be to list the goals. So far it seems like:
- moderation capabilities
- no terms of service that give the provider ownership of content for all
eternity
- IRC integration
- preferably open source and standard protocols
- free?

And probably a bunch of other goals.