[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Zachary Turner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 20 09:23:23 PST 2019

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:18 AM Renato Golin via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> If we do select a provider (for Discourse, another or even Stack
> Overflow), we need to make sure we'll always be able to download the
> whole history and move to another service if the terms stop being
> reasonable (or we get tired of it).

I disagree.   This thread is about an IRC replacement, not about a forum
replacement . It is inherently for discussions of a transient nature whose
history need not be preserved.  Like "Hey @rengolin, what's the status of
bug N that you were looking at?"  Even idle chit-chat and banter.  Exactly
the kinds of discussions that preserving history is not useful for.