[cfe-dev] Two questions about address_space attribute

Y Song via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 17:19:58 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 4:21 PM Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 10:30, Y Song via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently, I am thinking to add address_space attribute support for
>> x86_64 and BPF to compile linux kernel. The main goal is to get
>> address_space information into debug_info and then later to dwarf/BTF.
>> But address_space enforcement itself can also help with better code
>> for the kernel.
>>
>> The RFC patch is here:
>>     https://reviews.llvm.org/D69393
>>
>> During experiments, we found two issues which I would like to get
>> expert opinion:
>>
>> issue 1: address_space attributes on function pointers
>>
>> clang does not allow address_space attribute for function pointers,
>> specifically, in clang/lib/Sema/SemaType.cpp,
>>
>> // ISO/IEC TR 18037 S5.3 (amending C99 6.7.3): "A function type shall not be
>> // qualified by an address-space qualifier."
>> if (Type->isFunctionType()) {
>>   S.Diag(Attr.getLoc(), diag::err_attribute_address_function_type);
>>   Attr.setInvalid();
>>   return;
>> }
>>
>> But linux kernel tries to annotate signal handling function pointer
>> with address space to indicate it is accessing user space.
>>
>> typedef __signalfn_t __user *__sighandler_t;
>> typedef __restorefn_t __user *__sigrestore_t;
>>
>> Such attribute makes sense for linux since indeed the signal handler
>> code resides in user space and the kernel pointer
>> merely points to user memory here.
>>
>> What is the rationale for this restriction in standard? How we could
>> make clang tolerate such restrictions for X86/BPF/...?
>>
>> issue 2: typeof(*ptr) where ptr has address_space attribute.
>>
>> -bash-4.4$ cat t2.c
>> int test(int __attribute__((address_space(1))) *p) {
>> #ifdef NO_TYPEOF
>>   int t = *p;
>> #else
>>   typeof(*p) t = *p;
>> #endif
>>   return t;
>> }
>> -bash-4.4$ clang -c t2.c
>> t2.c:5:14: error: automatic variable qualified with an address space
>>   typeof(*p) t = *p;
>>              ^
>> 1 error generated.
>> -bash-4.4$ clang -DNO_TYPEOF -c t2.c
>> -bash-4.4$
>>
>> The IR generated without NO_TYPEOF macro:
>>   %p.addr = alloca i32 addrspace(1)*, align 8
>>   %t = alloca i32, align 4
>>   store i32 addrspace(1)* %p, i32 addrspace(1)** %p.addr, align 8
>>   %0 = load i32 addrspace(1)*, i32 addrspace(1)** %p.addr, align 8
>>   %1 = load i32, i32 addrspace(1)* %0, align 4
>>   store i32 %1, i32* %t, align 4
>>   %2 = load i32, i32* %t, align 4
>>   ret i32 %2
>>
>> So we can directly load a i32 addrspacee(1)* to an i32. Maybe
>> typeof(*p) should just i32 and we should not emit the error at all?

> [...]

The following is our use case.
The linux kernel has a macro "put_user" defined to write a simple
value to user space
  #define put_user(x, ptr)

where x is the value and ptr is a pointer to user space. For example,

   int __attribute__((address_space(1))) *optlen;
   int len = ...;
   ... put_user(len, optlen) ...

FYI, the source code link:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/x86/include/asm/uaccess.h#L228-L244

The put_user is defined like below:

#define put_user(x, ptr)                                        \
        int __ret_pu;                                           \
        __typeof__(*(ptr)) __pu_val;                            \

The error will happen for the above
   __typeof__(*(ptr)) __pu_val;
as the ptr has __attribute__((address_space(1))) annotation.

The put_user macro is used many many times in kernel. I would like to
avoid changing
its signature, hence I am asking question here.