[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Rough sketch of the algorithm for "Enhancing bug reporting with static backward program slicing"

Kristóf Umann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 30 15:16:27 PDT 2019

On Mon, 27 May 2019 at 19:48, Artem Dergachev <noqnoqneo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/27/19 10:12 AM, Gábor Horváth wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I wanted to share some of my points as well but had little time to do so.
> >
> > Artem identified two kinds of issues. One of which has all the
> > information available in the bug path (in his terminology:
> > must-have-happened) and the other which has not (
> > should-not-have-happened). The goal is the same in both of the cases,
> > identify all dependencies including control and data dependencies. The
> > main difference is that in one case we could use all the information
> > available in the bug path while in the other we cannot.
> >
> > 1. must-have-happened:
> > Since the bug-path contains all the information we need, I do agree
> > with Artem using bug path visitors might be sufficient. I do not know
> > how reliable `trackExpressionValue` is in identifying data
> > dependencies, but revising it could be one step in GSoC. For example,
> > after quickly skimming through the implementation I am not sure if it
> > is able to track the source of a constant value that was constant
> > folded during the symbolic execution from different values.
>
> It should be able to, because that's how inlined defensive check
> suppressions work.

I recently finished (not yet published) my work on implementing control
dependencies for clang's CFG via LLVM's IDFCalculator. Theoretically
speaking, by simply tracking the variables in the block that is a control
dependency of the block that is being tracked, we should be able to get a
proper bug report for Example 1? From afar, it seems reasonable.