[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Proof-of-concept for Matcher-like checker API (graph matchers)

Alexey Sidorin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat May 11 12:58:45 PDT 2019

Necro-updating the status since some demand for this or similar CSA
feature was discovered on EuroLLVM BoF. Unfortunately, I had few time to
develop path-sensitive matchers last year so the change list is not very
large.

1. On-the-fly matching while building ExplodedGraph. Both offline and
online matching is available. The way how a checker handles graphs
depends on how it was registered in CheckerManager: there is a separate
method registerPathMatcher() that adds matcher to the set of online
matchers.

2. Path-sensitive matchers gained the ability to generate new nodes and
sinks in the callbacks. There are two limitations, however.
a) AST Matchers don't allow calling callbacks until matching is
complete, so I haven't implemented this ability for path-sensitive
matchers too.
b) Only on-the-fly matchers are allowed to add nodes (because the
ability to add nodes to a complete graph seems useless).

3. The primary advancement for this PoC is that path-sensitive matchers
now can work as dynamic matchers so they can be used with clang-query
tool. Here is an example clang-query script:

let NotChdir
callExpr(unless(callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chdir"))))).bind("bad_action")

match
functionDecl(
   hasPath(hasSequence(
postStmt(hasStatement(callExpr(callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chroot")))).bind("chroot"))),
             unless(
stmtPoint(hasStatement(callExpr(callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chdir"))),
                                                 hasArgument(0,
hasValue(stringRegion(refersString("/")))))))),
             explodedNode(anyOf(postStmt(hasStatement(NotChdir)),
callEnter(hasCallExpr(NotChdir)))).bind("bug_node"))))

whose output on chroot.c is:

$ bin/clang-query llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c -f=debug-cmd.query
Match #1:
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:12:3: note: "bad_action" binds here
   foo(); // expected-warning {{No call of chdir("/") immediately after
chroot}}
   ^~~~~
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:11:3: note: "chroot" binds here
chroot("/usr/local"); // root changed.
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:10:1: note: "root" binds here
void f1(void) {
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Match #2:
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:24:3: note: "bad_action" binds here
   foo(); // expected-warning {{No call of chdir("/") immediately after
chroot}}
   ^~~~~
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:22:3: note: "chroot" binds here
chroot("/usr/local"); // root changed.
   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
llvm/tools/clang/test/Analysis/chroot.c:21:1: note: "root" binds here
void f3(void) {
2 matches.

This can allow us to prototype checkers without re-compiling them after
every change.

The code can be found on my Github:
clang: https://github.com/a-sid/clang/tree/a4-dynamic-path-matchers
clang-tools-extra:
https://github.com/a-sid/clang-tools-extra/tree/a4-support

If there is still a need this feature, I'll start the discussion on its
design because it requires some intrusive changes into AST Matchers code.